This chocolate cake trifle is so moist and full of deep chocolate flavor. So rich with a hint of cream. OOH, so good!
*Post contains affiliate links* for more information please read the disclaimer on the About Us page.
Have your cake or a fancy chocolate cake trifle
Moist chocolate cake, delicious frosting, and fresh whipped cream. What a wonderful combination of flavors to delight the taste buds. You can certainly eat this goodness as a fancy trifle or cake.
What is a Trifle?
It is normally a sponge-type cake that is layered with fruit, custard, and a whipped topping. Some people might even choose to drizzle chocolate or an alcohol throughout the trifle. To me the trifle is all about presentation. If you are going to a potluck or fancy event that you need to bring a dish to pass to, this would be an easy dessert to prepare. While you could just bring a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting dabbed with some whipping cream, it just is not as pretty and fancy as layering those same ingredients in a pretty see-through container.
I chose to make this trifle using chocolate cake, frosting, and whipped cream. This could be made by layering cake, pudding, and whipped cream too. Either way you choose, they are both delicious.
Decadent Chocolate Cake Trifle
Chocolate Cake-Dry Ingredients
- 3/4 Cup Cocoa
- 2 Cups sugar
- 1 3/4 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tsp. Instant Coffee Such as Tasters Choice
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 Tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 Tsp. salt
Chocolate Cake – Wet Ingredients
- 1 Cup Hot Water Add this last (I microwave the cup for a minute)
- 1 Cup milk
- 1/2 Cup Oil
- 2 Tsp. vanilla
- 1 Stick butter
- 1 Candy Bar Chocolate full-size (melted in microwave)
- 1/3 Cup milk (start with 1/3 cup and if you would like a bit creamier, add a bit more milk)
- 3 Cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tsp. vanilla
- 1 Cup whipping cream
- 3 Tbls. powdered sugar heaping
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix to incorporate ingredients together
- Add the all of the wet ingredients except the hot water. Mix on medium speed until combined.
- Then add the hot water and mix that in.
- Spray Pam or other oil in 9 X 13 pan, heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake at 350 degrees preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. You can also tell if the cake is done by lightly touching the center of the cake with your finger. If it springs back, it is done.
- In a microwave safe container; melt butter approximately 25 seconds on high. Just so it is partially melted, but all the stick is soft.
- In separate bowl, add the cocoa and powdered sugar and mix.
- Once mixed, add the butter, vanilla, melted chocolate candy bar, and 1/3 cup milk. Beat with a mixer on medium until smooth consistency. If needed, add more milk a very little bit at a time until the frosting is the spreading consistency that you desire.
- Whip the whipping cream on medium speed until soft peaks form. Add the powdered sugar and continue to mix until combined and the cream thickens. Should just be a minute or two.
Putting the Chocolate Trifle togetherOnce the chocolate cake is completely cool, frost it. Cut the cake into small cubes about ½ inch in size. Add a layer of frosted cake, then whipping cream. Repeat alternating layers of cake and whipping cream. Enjoy!
A few of my favorite things
The Power of Positivity
If you loved this post, please share. It helps to show me that these types of posts are helpful – thank you!
I hope that you liked this recipe. If you are looking for more ideas on what to make, here are a few other recipes that you may enjoy.