Frugal recipes like this easy creamed ham on toast can be just so delicious that you will find your family scraping out the pan to get the last bit. Simple ingredients and little effort to feed your family.
*Post contains affiliate links* for more information please read the disclaimer on the About Us page.
While I say breakfast, this is a wonderful meal any time of the day. Whenever I make this the family makes sure there is nothing left in the pan. The best part, it is very easy to make and I feel like I have made my family something healthy that is very satisfying.
I live 20 minutes from the closest grocery store; therefore, often, my recipes use pantry ingredients that I already have on hand. In this case it is butter, flour, milk, ham, and a few seasonings. So, this was a great recipe to use what we have.
All of the creamed ham on toast is gobbled up.
Filling Meal for Pennies
While this is a very easy meal. This will also have you felling satisfied until your next meal. So easy to make.
Cook Like a Professional
Roux is a basic recipe that will be used over and over in cooking. Use this to thicken sauces, gravies, soups, stews, and more. Learn something that professional chefs use often in their cooking.
Start This Recipe with a Roux
By combining the flour with a melted fat, such as butter first; you will end up with a beautiful thickened sauce or gravy and no lumps. Want to learn a bit more about making a Roux? I have a blog post for just that reason.
Meat for This Recipe
While I have made this recipe with ham luncheon meat today, this same recipe can be used for just about any kind of meat. Actually, we like to use a wide variety of luncheon meats. The meat is already pre-cooked and sliced thin. I just have to do a little dicing and the meat is ready for this frugal recipe.
- Corned Beef
- Canned Tuna
Note: if I make this with the canned tuna, I add the liquid from the cans too. It just adds to the flavor. yum!
Bread for This Recipe
Again, use what you have on hand. However, if I planned ahead and wanted to make this with a special bread, here are some great choices that I have used in the past.
- Artisan Bread
- Buttermilk Biscuits
- Butter Top Bread
- Cottage Bread
- Homemade Bread
- Potato Bread
- Sourdough Bread
- Texas Toast Bread
- Whole Wheat Bread
Toasted or Not Toasted
I love the texture and flavor that toasted bread adds to this recipe. However, my husband likes to have his creamed ham on bread that has not been toasted. Enjoy this the way you like. This is just so delightfully yummy and so easy to make.
Let’s get to the recipe.
This easy breakfast recipe makes enough to feed 8 people or 4 really hungry people. Adjust the quantities as needed if you need to cook for a larger crowd or just two. Actually, this frugal meal can be made for any meal of the day, your family will thank you for it.
Easy Creamed Ham on Toast
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 4 Cups Milk
- 9 Oz. Deli Ham Diced (or other meat or fish diced) Can be more or less meat also.
- 1 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- Start by melting the butter over medium-low heat.
- Once the butter is melted, add the flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Start whisking until incorporated. Make sure to continue stirring until completely incorporated. It is important to cook the mixture at least one-two minutes to cook the raw taste out of the flour.
- Add half of the milk and whisk until smooth and starting to thicken.
- Add the rest of the milk and whisk until smooth. Leave this cook for a minute or two as it will begin to thicken again. Notice the sauce that clings to the spoon? This is what you want to see.
- Once this sauce starts to thicken, add the diced ham and continue to cook about 4 minutes – until the sauce starts to bubble. Then you know that everything is heated through. Since the ham is pre-cooked, it just has to be heated through.
- Toast your toast if desired and spoon the creamed ham over the bread. Enjoy!
A few of my favorite things
The Power of Positivity
If you loved this post, please share. It helps to show me that these types of posts are helpful – thank you!
I hope that you liked this recipe. If you are looking for more ideas on what to make, here are a few other recipes that you may enjoy.