This Philly Cheesesteak Casserole is such an easy recipe that will bake up to a delicious cheesy, saucy, and beefy dinner. So scrumptious!
*Post contains affiliate links* for more information please read the disclaimer on the About Us page.
What is a Philly Cheesesteak?
A traditional Philly Cheesesteak sandwich is a classic. It has lots of thinly shaved steak and a good amount of cheese. We’ve often had the cheesesteak sandwiches with sauteed onions and peppers. Serve it up on a hoagie roll and you’ve got yourself a sandwich!
No Bread in This Casserole
Typically, Philly Cheesesteak is a delicious beefy and cheesy sandwich. However, this twist on the sandwich is a casserole without the bread. I urge you to give this a try. It is over-the-top amazing.
Believe me, this recipe is a keeper.
Cooking with My Daughter-Making Up Recipes
This week, my daughter and I have been cooking together quite a bit. I just love those days. Well, we were pondering what to make for dinner. After a trip to the freezer, we landed on this Philly cheesesteak casserole. However, when we researched recipes we were not excited about what we found. Therefore, we made up our own. Believe me, it turned out so delicious, we will be making this again and soon too.
Thin Sliced Beef or Ground Beef for This Recipe
I used very thinly sliced beef for this recipe today because I had it in the freezer. (I thawed it most of the way before using it). However, if I did not, I would go ahead and use ground beef.
Notice how thin the beef is sliced in the photo? This will make sure that when this casserole bakes, it will have a delicious tender meat too. Meat Option: if you do not have thin beef, go ahead and use ground beef. If you are using that, just cook ahead of time. That way, the beef will be in small pieces. You could also use chicken for this recipe I think too.
So, What About Tacos?
Try a new Twist on a Taco and Philly Cheesesteak.
I happened to have some flour tortillas at home and thought this might be a good combination. It was! If you are a person that would miss the bun with this Philly cheesesteak, then try and fried flour shell.
Frying the Flour Shells
I put a little oil in a skillet and fry the shell for about 30 seconds on each side. Then using two forks, I fold the shell in half and fry for about 30 seconds on both sides again. Remove and drain on a paper towel. Why fry and flour shell? Our family thinks that it brings out the sweetness in the flour and takes the raw flour taste away. Plus there is a little crispiness to the shell now.
Fill this flour tortilla with the beefy and cheese filling. Enjoy.
Comforting flavors of a cheesesteak sandwich in a casserole! Easy Philly Cheesesteak Casserole is ready in just over an hour. Traditional flavors of steak and cheese, plus onions, and peppers.
The creamy sauce is made from cream cheese, cottage cheese, heavy whipping cream, beef soup base, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Very easy and for many home cooks, a pantry item.
Make this Casserole in Advance
Make up the Philly Cheesesteak Casserole up to the point of baking. Then cover it over and refrigerate it until about 30 minutes before you want to bake it. Follow the recipe for baking until hot and bubbly.
Freeze This Casserole
Make up the casserole up to the point of baking.Wrap it well with plastic wrap, then wrap again in aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 2 months. When you are ready to make this, let the casserole sit out 30-60 minutes before baking to come closer to room temperature. Bake as the recipe states, but it may take a little bit longer depending on how cold the casserole is. Make sure it is heated through the middle and bubbly around the edges.
This recipe is as close to dump as go as you get. Okay…maybe more of a layer and go. Thin sliced beef, onions, green peppers, and a delicious cheesy and creamy sauce.
Let’s get to the recipe.
Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
- 28 Oz. Shaved Beef Steak
- 4 Green Peppers cleaned and sliced
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion Peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese Shredded
- 8 Oz. Cream Cheese Softened
- 1/2 Cup Cottage Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 Tsp. Garlic Minced – or Powdered Garlic
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1/2 Tsp. Pepper
Beef Soup Base
- 1 Tbl. Beef Soup Base
- 1/2 Cup Hot Water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. While that is preheating, prepare the creamy sauce.
- In a microwave safe bowl, place the cream cheese. Microwave for about 30-50 seconds. Long enough so you can start to stir it.
- While the cream cheese is softening, make the beef soup base. Dissolve the beef soup base in the hot water and set aside.
- In the same bowl that the cream cheese is softening, add the cottage cheese, minced garlic, heavy whipping cream, salt, and pepper. Stir to mix.
- Add the beef soup mixture and stir to mix. Set aside.
- Clean and slice the green peppers. Set aside
- Peel and slice the onion. Set aside.
- Spray a 9 X 13 pan with some spray oil to prevent sticking. Add all of the thin sliced beef to the bottom. Add the onions next.
- Next add some of the shredded cheese and the creamy sauce.
- Then part of the green pepper, more of the cheese and cream sauce.
- Add the rest of the green pepper, cheese, and cream sauce. Cover with tin foil and bake covered for 55 minutes.Hint-if you spray the tin foil with spray oil, the cheese will not stick.
- Remove the tin foil and continue baking for another 20 minutes. Enjoy.
Your Own Private Notes
A few of my favorite things
The Power of Positivity
If you loved this post, please share. It helps to show me that these types of posts are helpful – thank you!
I hope that you liked this recipe. If you are looking for more ideas on what to make, here are a few other recipes that you may enjoy.