This saucy Mexican-Style chicken recipe is another skillet bake. Use ingredients in your pantry to make a delicious, fresh, and cheese flavor-packed meal for your whole family.
*Post contains affiliate links* for more information please read the disclaimer on the About Us page.
Fresh ingredients and fresh food. Just doesn’t get any better than that.
Serving the Saucy Mexican-Chicken Bake
This full-flavor meal takes little prep. Let the oven do the work for you. Serve this bake with rice on the side. In the photo, there has been diced tomatoes, lettuce, and sour cream added for freshness. However, there are many more topping options. Dress it up the way your family prefers. I generally will dice up toppings and have them available in bowls. People can add the toppings of their choice. You may try the following:
- Sour Cream
- Green Pepper
- Hot Sauce for those that want more heat
Cast Iron Skillet meals
Initially, I thought about making this in two pie pans; however, then I spied my cast iron skillets. They just work so great for cooking. As you can see from the photos, it is a good thing that the skillets were used as they are full of yummy goodness. This is the type of skillet I use quite often in my kitchen. Of course, it is difficult to make just one skillet of this chicken bake meal. Easy cooking for the first meal and leftovers for lunch the next day.
Saucy Chicken Skillet Bake
Feed a family for less. if you have made some of my recipes, you know that we live 30 minutes from the closest grocery store. Therefore, we use ingredients from the pantry. The pantry ingredients came together to make a delicious chicken recipe. Make sure to spoon the sauce on top for even more flavor. At our house, this Mexican-Style recipe was a hit.
Saucy Mexican-Style Chicken
- 6 small Chicken Breasts or a Rotisserie Chicken
- 10 Flour Tortillas 10 inch size
- 15.5 Oz Butter Beans Drained
- 15.25 Oz Corn Drained
- 4.5 Oz Chopped Green Chiles
- 10.5 Oz Cheddar Cheese Soup
- 3/4 Cup milk
- 2 Cans diced tomatoes 14.5 Oz each
- 19 Oz Enchilada Sauce Mild (or more heat of you desire)
- 16 Oz cheese Shredded. I used mild cheddar.
- If you are using fresh chicken breasts, cook the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cut up into bite sized pieces. If you are using a rotisserie chicken, I used the whole chicken and cut it up into bite sized pieces. (set this aside).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray two 10.5 inch cast iron skillets with cooking spray to reduce sticking. Layer 4 10-inch tortillas in each pan. Spread the shells out so that they cover pan like a pie crust would. (the tortillas I purchased were 10 inch tortillas and there were 10 in a package – I used all of them).
- Drain butter beans and corn. Add the beans and corn – Split between both skillets.
- Add 1/2 the cut up chicken into each skillet. Add one can of chopped tomatoes to each pan. Add the chopped green chiles – Split between both skillets. In a Separate bowl, mix the cheese soup with the milk. Add 1/2 of the cheese soup – Split this between the two skillets.
- Add 1/2 of the enchilada sauce – Split between the two skillets. Top each skillet with 4 oz. of the shredded cheese.
- Take the remaining two flour tortillas and soak in a bit of the enchilada sauce on both sides. Then place one on top of each skillet. Add the remaining enchilada sauce and cheese soup – Split between the skillets.
- Bake the Mexican-Style Chicken for 30 minutes. Add the rest of the shredded cheese – Split between the two skillets. Bake for another 15 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- But each skillet into 6 pieces. Service with your choice of toppings and side dishes. I served with rice on the side. We topped ours with lettuce, tomato, and sour cream. This bake creates and delicious sauce. Drizzle some of the flavorful sauce on top too for even more flavor.
Your Own Private Notes
A few of my favorite things
The Power of Positivity
If you loved this post, please share. It helps to show me that these types of posts are helpful – thank you!
I hope that you liked this recipe. If you are looking for more ideas on what to make, here are a few other recipes that you may enjoy.