This crispy and tender fried chicken has a light and delicious coating that is crunchy, yet the chicken itself is juicy and tender. You can do this with just a few tablespoons of oil and a non-stick skillet.
*Post contains affiliate links* for more information please read the disclaimer on the About Us page.
Healthier Version of Fried Chicken
Because the chicken has so much flavor and delivers on crunch, we don’t miss the added breading and oil. Now, we do enjoy a delicious chicken dinner with lots of deep fried goodness quite often. Probably too often for our waste line.
Making little changes to a recipe to amp up the healthy factor is key.
Using Less Oil
We try to eat healthy and this means using less oil or at least using the oil that is good for you. The chicken is fried in just 3 tablespoons of Olive Oil. I love using olive oil.
Actually, I have a jar of olive oil sitting on my kitchen counter, as I use it just about everyday for something. Sometimes it is a salad dressing. Here is a recipe for a simple oriental salad dressing. Just amazing flavor. Other times, it is for frying. Of course, a little drizzle on top of food is sometimes just the perfect finish.
Spice Options for Dusting Chicken
Today, I just used salt, pepper, and garlic powder. However, the spices can be changed up for a completely different taste. This helps the recipes you make for your family stay simple and uncomplicated, yet satisfying and new flavors for everyone to enjoy.
Spices I have used include paprika, Italian seasoning, cayenne, thyme, oregano, and probably a few others too. It is fun to experiment in the kitchen.
Cooking Time for Chicken
This chicken really does not take that long to fry. Approximately 10-12 minutes for the legs and wings and 12-18 minutes for the breast and thigh. Fry until the skin is deep golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of chicken registers 165 degrees Fahrenheit it is done.. This is the thermometer I use, it is less than $10; noting fancy, but it quickly gets the job done.
I like to let the meat rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. This helps the juices stay in the meat.
However, if you would prefer to get fried chicken by baking the chicken; I have that recipe for you too. Here is a recipe for Oven-Fried Chicken.
Crispy and Tender Fried chicken
- 1 Whole Chicken Cut-up.
- 1 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Pepper
- 3 TBL. Oil I used Olive Oil
- In a shallow bowl, mix the flour and spices.
- Dust both sides of the chicken with the flour mixture.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil on medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken to the pan skin side up. Fry for 4-5 minutes. Turn the chicken over, putting the skin side down.
- Cover the skillet and continue frying the meat. I found that this helps the meat cook evenly, faster and still retains the crispy skin. Cook another 4-5 minutes. Temp the legs and wings, if they are done, remove them from the pan and continue cooking the breast and thigh until it reaches 165 degrees.
- Let the chicken rest on a plate or platter 5-10 minutes to seal in the juices before serving.
If you loved this post, please share. It helps to show me that these types of posts are helpful – thank you!
I hope that you liked this recipe. If you are looking for more ideas on what to make, here are a few other recipes that you may enjoy.