Homemade chili cheese fries are a complete yummy meal that is so quick to make. Perfect amount of heat, crisp fries, and cheesy goodness.
Post contains affiliate links and we earn commissions if you shop through the links on this page. For more information please read the disclaimer on the About Us page.
How can something that is so simple be so deliciously good
Quick and Easy Meal
My niece shared this recipe is one that she shared with me. She is quite the foodie and loves to spend time trying new recipes and making her favorites. This recipe is one that tastes delicious and cooks up quickly. While she made this for her family the other evening, this would be a wonderful recipe to make for a crowd. Just imagine this as a game day snack.
On those days when things are busy, and you must get dinner on the table. This recipe is a real lifesaver.
When you have venison in your freezer, it can be difficult to find a good recipe for the lean meat. This is one of those recipes that should be put in your recipe box.
These chili cheese fries are made with venison today; however, ground beef can be substituted easily.
Restaurant Menu Item
Whenever I see cheese fries on a restaurant menu, I always wonder about how they make them so good. The melty cheese paired with the crispy fries and spicy meat is just a scrumptious combination. Now you can make your own chili cheese fries at home. No need to wait until the next time you get to a restaurant. They are easier to make than you might think.
These chili fries are perfect for an easy weeknight meal, parties, game day or just a hearty snack with minimal effort.
Chili Cheese Fries Ingredients
Use a frozen package of French Fries and an air fryer to hurry up the recipe even more. However, if you have time, you can certainly make the fries from scratch.
- Ground meat such as venison or beef
- Chicken Stock
- Bloody Mary mix or Tomato Sauce
- Kidney Beans
Making the Recipe
The base of this recipe is the French fries, these can be baked in the oven while you are making the chili topping. However, my niece has an air fryer, so it takes much less time and they are golden and crispy in much less time. Therefore, she made the chili topping first.
Use any cut of French fry that you like: curly, crinkle, steak, potato wedges, or even sweet potato fries.
Next add the chili to the fries and top with a generous amount of cheese. Give the cheese a minute or so and it will melt from the heat of the chili. If you cooked your fries in the oven, you could pop the chili cheese fries back in the oven for a few minutes until the cheese is all melty and gooey.
Put as much cheese as you want on it. Today this was made with cheddar cheese; however, a bit of Mozzarella, Fontina, Queso, Pepper Jack, Swiss, American, or Provolone would be a great choice of cheese for this as they are all good melting cheeses that taste amazing!
Grate your own cheese though. The pre-grated cheeses have an anti-caking agent, which causes the cheese not to melt quite as well.
Topping Options for Cheese Fries
Today, this is topped with simple diced onions. However, there are so many other toppings that can be added. Here are a few ideas.
- Black Olives
- Green Chilies
- Crispy Bacon
- Green Onions
Homemade Chili Cheese Fries
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil or Vegetable oil
- 1 Stalk Celery Diced
- 1 Medium Onion Diced
- 1 1/2 Pounds Ground Venison or Ground Beef, Pork, or Chicken
- 1 Cup Chicken Stock
- 15.5 Ounces Kidney Beans 1 can
- 16 Ounces Bloody Mary Mix or Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Chili Powder
- 16 Ounces Frozen French Fries
- 1/2 Cup Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Diced
- In a skillet, add the oil, onions and celery. Cook a few minutes until translucent.
- Add the ground venison and break apart into small pieces. When the venison is cooked through, add the beans, bloody mary mix, and chicken stock. Then add all of the spices. Cook to heat through, stirring to combine.
- Make the French Fries either in the oven, or fried in oil, or in an air fryer. Whichever you prefer.
- Grate the cheese.
- On a plate or some other container of your choosing. Place the crispy potatoes down first, then top with the chili, shredded cheese, and onion. Additional toppings of your choosing can be added now as well.
- Serve the Chili Cheese Fries right away,
Your Own Private Notes
Topping Options for Cheese FriesToday, this is topped with simple diced onions. However, there are so many other toppings that can be added. Here are a few ideas.
- Black Olives
- Green Chilies
- Crispy Bacon
A few of my favorite things
The Power of Positivity
If you loved this post, please share. It helps to show me that these types of posts are helpful – thank you!
I hope that you liked this recipe. If you are looking for more ideas on what to make, here are a few other recipes that you may enjoy.