Take five simple ingredients and make your own homemade vanilla creme brulee and feel like a chef in your home. Delicious and creamy dessert with a hint of vanilla. It is hard to have just one custard tart.
*Post contains affiliate links* for more information please read the disclaimer on the About Us page.
Fancy Dessert Makes Any Meal Feel Special
Give it a try and amaze your family and friends with a dessert that looks as elegant. You just might make this a staple for your next holiday meal.
Hints to Successful Creme Brulee
Refrigerate to Set
I would recommend letting the custard cool for a few hours in the refrigerator before adding the sugar and heating it with a torch to caramelize the sugar. If you don’t you might end up with a bit of a soupy mess.
Dusting of Sugar
Make sure when putting the sugar on top for the caramelizing, dust a thin layer all over.
While using a torch to caramelize the sugar is quick and easy, if you don’t own one, go ahead and use your oven on the broiler setting. Make sure to keep a close eye on it as it will only take a few minutes to caramelize. If you are looking to purchase a torch for your kitchen, here is a very nice and economical model. (While I like to let it set up a bit, people have been able to serve the homemade vanilla creme brulee warm because they used the torch to caramelize the sugar).
While I have not tried this, I have heard of people using the back of a spoon. Heat the spoon up over the flame of a stove and touch the back of it to the sugar to caramelize it.
Homemade Vanilla Creme Brulee
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup milk
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 6 Large Egg Yoks
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Start heating the heavy cream, milk, and vanilla in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat until the mixture is softly simmering.
- In a separate mixing bowl, (A bowl that is heatproof) beat the sugar and egg yolks together. This will take a minute or two-when the sugar is dissolved, the mixture will become a pale yellow.
- Temper the sugar and egg mixture with the cream mixture by slowly adding ½ cup of the cream mixture and using a wire whisk to incorporate the mixtures well. Continue to slowly add the rest of the cream mixture to the bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place 6 custard ramekins (approximately 5 oz. size) on a large cookie sheet or cake pan. Strain the mixture through fine mesh sieve and pour into the ramekins.
- Pour hot water about ½ up the sides of the ramekins.
- Place in the oven on the middle rack.
- Bake for 30 minutes and turning the pan half way through the baking.
- Test for doneness by jiggling the pan slightly. It should jiggle like Jell-O.
- To caramelize, dust with white granulated sugar and heat with torch until desired caramel is achieved. When ready to serve, top each custard with about a teaspoon of sugar in a thin layer. Place ramekins in a broiler 2 to 3 inches from heat source. Turn on broiler. Cook until sugar melts and browns or even blackens a bit, about 5 minutes. Serve within two hours.
Your Own Private Notes
A few of my favorite things
The Power of Positivity
If you loved this post, please share. It helps to show me that these types of posts are helpful – thank you!
I hope that you liked this recipe. If you are looking for more ideas on what to make, here are a few other recipes that you may enjoy.