Learning how to make your own spaghetti sauce can be a wonderful thing. Just seems like you can adjust the ingredients as you like to taste them.
Post contains affiliate links and we earn commissions if you shop through the links on this page. For more information please read the disclaimer on the About Us page.
Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
This is the most amazing spaghetti sauce. I have made this with ground beef and switched it up using ground chuck and some mild sweet Italian sausage. Just scrumptious.
If you like a finer texture to your meat, once the meat and onions are cooked, add to the food processor and pulse a few times. This will break up the meat into a fine texture.
Making Sauce from Home Grown Tomatoes
Making your own marinara sauce allows you the opportunity to use garden fresh tomatoes if you are lucky enough to have a garden. If not, that is okay too, as jarred tomatoes are just fine. How to make tomato sauce from home grown tomatoes: cut tomatoes up and heat in a kettle. As they begin to soften, mash with potato masher to release liquid. Bring to a boil and continue mashing. Once the tomatoes are sauced, You can remove the seeds, pulp and skin by running the mixture though a cheese cloth or a fine mesh strainer, or even a food mill.
Return the filtered sauce to the kettle and boil down to the desired consistency.
Then this tomato sauce can be used in this recipe for spaghetti sauce.
However, if you do not have home grown tomatoes, jarred tomato sauce is just fine.
Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
My husband is a critic of spaghetti. (It is his favorite meal). Each time he has it, he ranks who makes the best sauce. According to him, there must be enough sauce to for the meat and he loves adding extra sauce to his pasta. When I was first married, all I heard was how well his sister made her spaghetti sauce. Fast forward forty years; he loves my homemade sauce. But he still has a special place in his heart for her homemade sauce.
Easy Weeknight meal
Spaghetti is a very easy meal to make on a weeknight. This recipe is one of our go-to recipes. For as long as I can remember, we have been making our sauce this way. So far, I have not found anyone that is not happy when this dinner is served.
Add a bit of garlic bread and delicious salad and you have a delicious well-rounded meal. Here is a wonderful spring mix salad. If you do not have French bread to make your own garlic bread, it can be made very easily using sandwich bread.
TIPS FOR MAKING AHEAD AND FREEZING SPAGHETTI SAUCE:
This homemade spaghetti sauce can be easily made ahead of time. Store it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. This is also great for freezing. However, before freezing the spaghetti sauce, allow the mixture to cool completely. Make sure to label and store in a sealed container or even a freezer bag. Freeze up to 6 months. To use, place frozen sauce in a pot and reheat on the stove until warm.
Easy Meal Prep
However, this is a wonderful recipe for meal prep. Freeze the sauce and when ready, just make the pasta and heat the sauce. Makes for a quick and delicious meal.
- 1 pound Ground Beef or Italian Sausage
- 1 Small Onion Diced
- 2 cloves Garlic Minced
- 15 ounces Tomato Sauce Or cooked down tomatoes
- 6 Ounces Tomato Paste
- 2 Teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Parsley Flakes
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Pinch Red Pepper Flakes to taste
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Basil Leaves
- 8 Ounces Tomatoes Diced, optional
- Brown meat, onion, garlic, and seasoning over medium-high heat making sure to break up the meat very well. (Drain any fat if necessary).
- Once the meat is cooked through, Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, parsley, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, salt and pepper to the skillet.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add basil the last 5 minutes of cooking, if desired. (You can use dried basil. Just reduce the amount to a tablespoon if using dried. Additionally, if using dried, add it when adding the other spices).
- Sometimes, I like to add the 8 ounces of tomatoes the last few minutes. It gives just that extra tomato-fresh taste to the sauce.
Your Own Private Notes
A few of my favorite things
The Power of Positivity
If you loved this post, please share. It helps to show me that these types of posts are helpful – thank you!
I hope that you liked this recipe. If you are looking for more ideas on what to make, here are a few other recipes that you may enjoy.
You can find Victoria crocheting, quilting, and creating recipes. She has worked in restaurants for many years. Her many crochet patterns and quilt patterns are enjoyed by many. In her professional career, she has worked in management in a wide variety of businesses including higher education as a dean of a division. All the while attending college part-time to achieve her doctorate in higher education with an emphasis in e-learning.