This warm bacon salad dressing has been in our family for decades. This is a recipe that starts off with bacon. Need I say more for the bacon lovers? Read on to find out how easy this recipe is.
*Post contains affiliate links* for more information please read the disclaimer on the About Us page.
There is really nothing like this homemade salad dressing.
It is fast to make, and adds just the right amount of sweet and smoky saltiness to any of your salad ingredients.
When a Recipe Starts with Cooking Bacon … It Must Be Good Right?
If your family loves bacon, you are always looking for ways to add this ingredient to a healthy meal. This is one you might want to add to your recipe box.
Restaurant Style Salad Dressing
Until a few years ago, I had never had warm bacon dressing anywhere else except at home. Then our family went out to eat at a restaurant in Shawano. I was happily surprised to see that there was an entire crock pot of this delicious bacon salad dressing. They have lots and lots of bacon in the crock pot. However, they do not thicken their dressing. You make your salad and ladle on the bacon and warm salad dressing. So tasty.
Thickening versus Not-thickening the Warm Salad Dressing
My mom and grandmother did not thicken their dressing. The restaurant does not thicken their warm vinaigrette either. However, I find that if it is not thickened just a bit with the corn starch, that it runs to the bottom of the salad bowl. Therefore, I have chosen to thicken mine just a bit. This helps keep the delicious sauce on the fresh vegetables. It feels like the delicious smokey and sweet flavor lasts for the whole salad this way. I encourage you to make this warm vinaigrette the way you enjoy it.
What Can You Substitute for Rice Vinegar?
Many of the warm bacon salad dressing recipes call for white vinegar. I find that has a bit too much vinegar bite in this recipe for me. I like to use Rice Vinegar. It has a milder taste. With the milder tasting vinegar, I also don’t have to add as much sugar as many other recipes. According to Cooking Light, Apple Cider Vinegar is a good substitute for the light tasting rice vinegar as it has a faint apple flavor that won’t overpower Therefore, this is just a bit healthier for my family and friends to enjoy.
Not sure that Rice Vinegar is? Here is a link to show you.
Make sure to add the delicious bacon to your salad.
There are so many other options for this delicious sauce too. It is great served over sliced tomatoes, boiled potatoes, steamed green beans, spinach salad, or almost any type of tossed greens.
Warm Bacon Salad Dressing
- 1 Lb Bacon Fried and diced (keep the bacon fat in the pan)
- 1/2 Cup Rice Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup White Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tbl. Corn Starch
- 2 Tbl. Water
- Salt To taste
- Pepper To taste
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crisp. Drain on a paper towel and when cool, break into bite-sized pieces.
- Keep the bacon fat in the skillet. You should have 1/4 to 1/2 of a cup of bacon drippings. There will be that beautiful brown bits in the bottom of the pan. Make sure to stir this salad dressing while you are making it so you get those brown bits off the bottom of the pan. They add so much good flavor
- Add the sugar and vinegar to the pan. Stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- In a small container mix the corn starch and water until all the corn starch is dissolved.
- Slowly add this to the hot dressing. Stir until dissolved and the sauce is thickened.
- Remove from heat. Salt and Pepper if desired.
- Dress your favorite salad. Enjoy.
A few of my favorite things
The Power of Positivity
If you loved this post, please share. It helps to show me that these types of posts are helpful – thank you!
I hope that you liked this recipe. If you are looking for more ideas on what to make, here are a few other recipes that you may enjoy.