This bacon, corn and potato chowder is a hearty meal that tastes a little bit smokey with a tad bit of cheese too. In less than an hour, achieve a great tasting meal
*Post contains affiliate links* for more information please read the disclaimer on the About Us page.
Corn Chowder with Bacon and Potatoes
What says comfort food more than a hearty chowder. It is filling and just the perfect healthy food to warm up your insides on a cold and chilly day. Find out how easy this is to make.
Quick and Easy Comfort Food
Fresh Summer Corn and Potato Soup is so healthy and flavorful.
While this chowder was made with fresh ingredients today, you can certainly substitute canned corn, carrots, and potatoes. I always use what I have at home so don’t be afraid to do the same. For instance, if I didn’t have the fresh carrots, but I had canned carrots, I would add the whole can of carrots. The same for the potatoes.
Money Saving Ideas
Freezing Ingredients for Future Use
Sometimes, I have celery that has been in the refrigerator a while and before it goes bad, I dice it up and freeze it in 1 cup portions. This also works great in soups and chowders like this.
Delicious Chowder Recipe
A thick creamy and delicious chowder filled with bacon, corn, and potatoes for a flavorful combination of comfort goodness.
This recipe has a bit of cheese too.
Seems at our house, anything with cheese is automatically good. Must be the dairy farmers in us coming out.
Many fancy restaurants use Nueske’s Bacon.
We are lucky enough to have their world headquarters just 15 minutes from our house. Therefore, when we make bacon, it is often Nueske’s Bacon. That is the bacon we used in this recipe. Yum! If you would like to get some for yourself, here is a link to the bacon.
Of course, we purchase 10 pounds at a time when we go to the store. The inside of the store just smells so good too. If you ever get to Wittenberg, Wisconsin, you should stop in the headquarters and shop their store.
Making a Roux is part of this recipe. While it is explained in the directions, if you are not familiar with making a Roux, you might want a bit more step-by-step directions. If so, come check out my Roux Recipe.
Bacon, Corn & Potato Chowder
- 1 Lb. bacon Cut in bite-sized pieces
- 1 Medium Sweet Onion diced
- 3 Medium carrots peeled and diced
- 3 Stalks celery cleaned and diced
- 2 Tsp. Minced garlic
- 2 Tbl. flour
- 32 Oz. Chicken Broth
- 4 Cups milk
- 4 Medium Russet Potatoes
- 1 Tsp. Oregano
- 1 Tsp. salt
- 1 Tsp. pepper
- 1 Can Corn or 2 cups of fresh corn
- 1 Tbl. Parsley
- 8 Oz. Cheddar Cheese Grated
- Cook bacon in a kettle on medium-high until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towel. Leave grease in kettle and add onion, carrots, and celery. Cook until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the garlic and saute another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the flour and whisk constantly until lightly browned – about 1 minute. This is the roux that will help thicken the chowder.
- Add the chicken broth potatoes, oregano, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes…or until the potatoes are fork tender. Once the potatoes are done, add the corn and milk.
- Continue cooking until simmering again and add the cheddar cheese and bacon. Continue cooking and stirring until the cheese is incorporated.
- Turn off heat and enjoy.
A few of my favorite things
The Power of Positivity
If you loved this post, please share. It helps to show me that these types of posts are helpful – thank you!
I hope that you liked this recipe. If you are looking for more ideas on what to make, here are a few other recipes that you may enjoy.