In minutes, you can be eating chicken and vegetables in brown sauce right in your own home. While I do love restaurant food, it just takes minutes to make this amazing dish yourself.
*Post contains affiliate links* for more information please read the disclaimer on the About Us page.
Fresh and Healthy Family Meals!
This chicken stir fry recipe can be made with a wide variety of vegetables. Today was a good day at the market. So many fresh vegetables that after I added about a cup of each, there was enough to feed four of us. Just amazing freshness and flavor.
Here is a recipe that is quick to make with delicious results. You will think you are sitting in a restaurant when you enjoy this dish. I have a feeling that once you have fried this recipe, it will become a favorite easy recipe that you will make often.
Wow your family and guests with this Asian restaurant style chicken recipe!
Chicken Stir Fry Ingredients
Here is what I used today for this easy recipe. Just one cup of each to make a this delicious stir fry. We love it so much, I generally need to make extra as we all go back for seconds. That is okay thought because of all the veggies in this recipe.
Today I used chicken; however, you could use beef, shrimp, or pork in this recipe.
For the Sauce
This sauce is amazingly simple to make. Just four ingredients that I have in my pantry anyway.
- 1 Packet Knorr Homestyle Stock concentrate
- Sweet Soy Sauce
- Corn Starch
For the Vegetables I included what I had on hand today.
- Bell Pepper
- Sweet Vidalia Onion
- Pea Pods
- Yellow Squash
Vegetable Ideas For Stir Fry
There are just so many options for you to use when you make your chicken with vegetables. I love making this recipe best with fresh, but you can substitute frozen. However, I think that the fresh vegetables that are cooked to tender-crisp stage make this entire dish!
- Sweet Peas
- Green Beans
- Green, Red, Yellow Bell Peppers (makes for great color)
- Onions – Yellow, Sweet Vidalia , or Red
Serving Suggestions for Stir Fry
Serve this scrumptious chicken and vegetables with steamed rice, fried rice, noodles, or without anything. I enjoyed an extra large serving without any side the other day. So good!
Here is another recipe for you to try.
If you have never made fried rice at home, you are missing out on that recipe too. While this recipe is for Pork Fried Rice, you can substitute any meat for the pork. Just amazing flavor.
Stir Fry Brown Sauce Secret Ingredients
Yes, this is not your usual stir fry that has a long list of specialized sauce ingredients to make the recipe taste just right.
There are just Four ingredients to this amazing brown sauce.
The first two ingredients are water and corn starch. These are pretty standard for recipes with a sauce.
The Third ingredient is amazing!
I found this Sweet Soy Sauce at my local grocer a few months ago. This sauce is thick and has a deep, rich flavor profile that makes things taste like you have been cooking for hours. Here is a photo of the bottled sauce that I am talking about. If you are not able to find it locally, you can find it here.
The last ingredient is something that I keep in my pantry all the time. Sometimes I have homemade chicken broth on hand, other times, I use canned. However, this gelled chicken stock does not have to be refrigerated. Mix one packet with 8 oz. of water and you have instant chicken broth. Knorr makes a Homestyle Chicken Stock that is concentrated. You can find it here.
Chicken for Stir Fry
Today, I used two chicken breasts cut-up into bite-sized pieces. However, any chicken meat would work. If you happen to have a rotisserie chicken on hand, or some in the freezer, go ahead and cut that up and add it. It will just save you a few more minutes in making this chicken with vegetables in brown sauce dinner.
The vegetables come out tender-crisp, so they are super healthy and they take just 10-15 minutes to cook. What is Tender-Crisp? You might be wondering what I mean by a tender-crisp bean. Tender-crisp is when a vegetable is cooked through, but still has a little bite to it. Therefore, they are tender enough that your teeth will sink into them, but crisp enough that they still snap when you chew them.
Tips for a Successful Stir Fry Recipe
Prepare the ingredients before starting to cook. That means dicing the chicken or other protein, cleaning and dicing the vegetables.
Do not overcook the protein. Sometimes it is best to cook the protein and remove it from the pan while you are cooking the vegetables and making the sauce and adding it back in. I find that if I just add the vegetables when the protein is not quick half cooked, it all works fine.
Sauté the vegetables until they are just tender crisp.
Bring the sauce to a boil so it will thicken.
Make sure that the sauce comes to a boil to allow for thickening.
Storage and Freezing of This Recipe
This recipe does freeze pretty well, the vegetables will not be as crisp, but this will still taste great. Place in an airtight container for up to three months in the freezer.
Reheat using the microwave or the non-stick skillet.
Chicken & Vegetables in Brown Sauce
- 2 Large Chicken Breasts Cut-up into bite-Sized pieces
- 2 Tbl. Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Carrots Peeled and Cut-up into bite-Sized pieces
- 1 Cup Bell Pepper Today I used an orange one. Cleaned and Cut-up into bite-Sized pieces
- 1 Cup Broccoli Cleaned and Cut-up into bite-Sized pieces
- 1 Cup Sweet Vidalia Onion Cleaned and Cut-up into bite-Sized pieces
- 1 Cup Pea Pods
- 1 Cup Yellow Squash Cut-up into bite-Sized pieces
- 1 Cup Mushrooms Cleaned and Cut-up into bite-Sized pieces
- 1 Packet Knorr Homestyle Stock concentrate
- 2-3 Tbl. Sweet Soy Sauce
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Tsp. Corn Starch
- In a large skillet, heat on medium-high heat. Add the Olive Oil and the Chicken, Cook just a few minutes and stir. Start adding the vegetables before the chicken is fully cooked. I had all the vegetables sitting on the counter ready to too.
- Add the Carrots. Again, while the carrots cooked, I quickly cleaned and cut up the bell pepper.
- Add the Bell Pepper. Of course, by now you know that I quickly cut up the broccoli after I added the pepper.
- Add the Broccoli. Prepare the next vegetable to be added.
- I love using Sweet Vidalia Onion in this stir fry. It is time to add that to this delicious dish.
- Add the Pea Pods.
- Add the Yellow Squash…Note, if you have zucchini, that would be perfect too.
- Add the mushrooms.
- Cook this 2-3 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the packet of Knorr Homestyle Stock concentrate.
- Dissolve the corn starch in the cool water. Add to the skillet and gently toss the vegetables and chicken while incorporating the mixture.
- Add the Sweet Soy Sauce.
- Cook an extra few minutes. Just until the vegetables are tender-crisp. It is ready to serve.
Storage and Freezing of This RecipeThis recipe does freeze pretty well, the vegetables will not be as crisp, but this will still taste great. Place in an airtight container for up to three months in the freezer. Reheat using the microwave or the non-stick skillet.
Vegetables for This Chicken Stir FryThis recipe is perfect for using up those vegetables in your refrigerator. Use what you have on hand.
A few of my favorite things
The Power of Positivity
If you loved this post, please share. It helps to show me that these types of posts are helpful – thank you!
I hope that you liked this recipe. If you are looking for more ideas on what to make, here are a few other recipes that you may enjoy.