Gooey butter cake is an old recipe that has been made by cooks for generations. I like to use fruit in my bars and cakes when possible and this time, I used blueberries and a vanilla cake mix. These gooey blueberry butter cake mix bars will disappear in your mouth.
*Post contains affiliate links* for more information please read the disclaimer on the About Us page.
Recipe Box Keeper
Recipes that have remained through the test of time are recipe box keepers for me. This is one of those recipes that can be changed up. Try different cake mixes with or without fruit. I think this would also be good with a pumpkin cake mix for the winter months. Maybe a strawberry cake mix would be good for the summer months.
Don’t Over Bake
Make sure not to over bake your bars. the center will appear soft, but don’t over bake them. It will set as it cools, but remain slightly gooey in the middle. Some people rock the pan back and forth to visually check how gooey the middle is.
Make Gooey Blueberry Butter Cake Mix Bars for your next gathering
Here is a link to the Wild Maine Blueberry Jam if you want to make the recipe just like I did.
Gooey Blueberry Butter Cake
- 1 Box Cake Mix I used Betty Crocket Super Moist Vanilla Cake Mix
- 8 Tbls. butter melted
- 1 Egg Beaten
- 12.5 Oz. Blueberry Jam I used Stonewall Kitchen Wild Maine Blueberry jam (I used 1 jar)
- 8 Oz. cream cheese Softened
- 2 eggs Beaten
- 2 Cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray the bottom of a 9 X 13 baking pan with Pam or grease with a bit of butter.
- In a medium bowl, combine cake mix, melted butter, and egg. When it is well incorporated, press evenly into a 9 X 13 baking pan. Set aside. Hint: I used the bottom of a mixing cup to get a nice evenly pressed crust.
- In a medium bowl, empty the entire jar of Wild Maine Blueberry Jam. Stir with a spoon a bit to help it spread easily over the crust layer.
- Pour over the crust and spread evenly. Hint: if just making the gooey butter cake mix bars, omit the fruit layer.
- In a large bowl, beat the softened cream cheese and eggs until smooth. This takes a minute or two. Add the powdered sugar and beat another minute or two until it is combined.
- Pour over the fruit layer on the crust and spread evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for approximately 45 minutes. Do Not Over Bake. The center will appear soft when done. It will continue to set when cooling. Note: since I used a fruit filling, I baked this for 45 minutes. If I did not have this layer, I would have probably removed this at 35-40 minutes.
- When done, remove from the oven and let cook prior to cutting into bars. Enjoy!
Your Own Private Notes
Moist and Fruity Cake Bar
A few of my favorite things
The Power of Positivity
If you loved this post, please share. It helps to show me that these types of posts are helpful – thank you!
I hope that you liked this recipe. If you are looking for more ideas on what to make, here are a few other recipes that you may enjoy.