This no-bake eclair dessert has layers of graham crackers and creamy vanilla pudding that is topped with chocolate. This is always a big hit at our house.
Post contains affiliate links* for more information please read the disclaimer on the About Us page.
Comfort Food Dessert
This is one of those foods that everyone just seems to drool over when I bring it out of the refrigerator. Good thing they don’t know how super easy it is to make! It’s kind of like Rice Krispies for me. Takes minutes to make and people just devour them. You can get my 5 minute recipe for that here.
This is one of those been-around-forever recipes. Somehow, though, I didn’t try to make this until my son-in-law asked me to make it for him. Well, now I know why this recipe has been around awhile. Just so light, refreshing, and scrumptious!
Wouldn’t you like to take a bite of that? Even though this looks so messy, I enjoyed it very much.
For this No-Bake Chocolate Eclair Dessert, you probably have the ingredients right in your pantry. If you have unexpected guests stop over, this would be a wonderful and quick dessert to whip up. You simply start with graham crackers, instant vanilla pudding, and cool whip. Don’t worry about neatness in the layers. No one will notice…all they worry about is how soon will it be ready.
Two Choices for Chocolate Topping
Once you have completed making the pudding mixture, layering the graham crackers, it is time for the chocolate topping.
Now, you have two choices for the chocolate topping. Soften a container of chocolate fudge frosting for 20-40 seconds in the microwave and put that on top. Or make your own chocolate topping.
I have also made this with sugar free chocolate fudge frosting from the container and it was still delicious.
Make Ahead Dessert
If you are going to a potluck, this is a great dessert to make the day before. It not only goes together quickly, but it is great the next day. However, if your family is like mine, they barely wait for an hour.
You are supposed to let this dessert sit in the refrigerator overnight to soften the graham crackers.
I’ll tell you a secret. In about an hour, the graham crackers will be pretty soft and you can enjoy the dessert.
No-Bake Eclair Dessert
- 2 3.5 oz. Instant Vanilla Pudding
- 3 Cups Milk
- 1 8 oz. Container of Whipped Topping You can also use about 3 cups of homemade whipped cream
- 1 14.4 oz. Box Graham Crackers
- 1/3 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Combine dry pudding mix and 3 cups milk; mix with wire whisk until mixed and starting to thicken. Stir in Cool Whip.
- Place a layer of graham crackers in the bottom of a 9 X 13 dish. However, I have been able to fit this into a 9 X 9 and it is filled right to the top. Spread 1/2 of the pudding mixture over the graham crackers. Repeat with another layer of graham crackers and pudding; then top with a final layer of graham crackers.
Making the Topping
- Remember, you can use prepared chocolate fudge topping if you do not want to make your own chocolate topping.
- In a kettle on medium heat, bring the cocoa, milk and sugar to a roiling boil. Let topping boil for one full minute, stirring frequently.
- Turn off the heat. Let sit one minute. Stir in the butter and vanilla extract. Pour this over the graham cracker mixture.
- Place in the refrigerator to set up and soften the graham crackers. Ideally overnight, but you can enjoy this as soon as one hour after refrigerating.
Subscribe to the channel
If you loved this post, please share. It helps to show me that these types of posts are helpful – thank you!
I hope that you liked this recipe. If you are looking for more ideas on what to make, here are a few other recipes that you may enjoy.