These Rice Krispie Treats are always a hit when we bring them anywhere. Both kids and adults enjoy eating these gooey treats. There is always an empty pan to bring back home. Here is a quick and easy recipe that is no-fail.
*Post contains affiliate links* for more information please read the disclaimer on the About Us page.
Microwave Rice Krispie Treat Recipe
I have made these rice krispie treats many times. When you are in a hurry and realize that you are the treat mom for the meeting…this is my go-to! It takes 5 minutes or less and you are out the door.
When my daughter was young, I kept the ingredients on hand at all times. Okay, I still keep them in my pantry. I continue to get requests to make this all the time. I am so glad I kept them on hand. I have made them for bake sales, 4-H meetings, pot luck, and brought them for a dish to pass at work.
Shingles on the House
For years, I could not make rice krispies. They were so dry and brittle, my husband used to tell me that he could shingle the house with them. I love eating them and really wanted to badly to be able to make a good batch. Even meticulously following the recipe on the box of rice krispies cereal did not work for me. My sister made pretty good ones and that was the method where everything was cooked on the stove-took longer than the microwave method and was messy too. Finally, one day, I told her of my dilemma. She, of course, laughed at me that I couldn’t make such a simple recipe. She told me to stop following the recipe and just guess. Well, for years I tried that too.
Okay, maybe not literally striking gold, but to me when I finally tried a microwave recipe and started tweaking it, I felt like I had struck gold. Finally! I could make good gooey rice krispie treats that someone would actually want to eat on day two even!
Popularity of Rice Krispie Treats
Of course, when I bring these rice krispie treats, there is never any left and they are always requested. I have even made these snacks, split the recipe in two and put each half in a gallon Zip Lock bag. This works really well when the youngsters have an auction to raise money for the 4-H club. Of course, they are very popular with both young and old bidders.
The best part of all! People are always asking me how I make such good rice krispie treats. Yay!
These treats are a bit gooey…just the way we like them. If you prefer then drier, reduce the amount of marshmallows. If you like them with pieces of marshmallow yet, reduce the microwave time so they are not all melted when you stir them in.
I like to use this pan to store my rice krispies in. The cover keeps the food fresh and it is easily transported to any function. I have used this over and over for years and years.
Rice Krispie Treats
- 1/4 stick butter
- 18 oz Rice Krispies I normally use Kellogg’s Rice Krispies
- 36 oz Marshmallows I normally use Kraft Jet Puffed Marshmallows
- Pam spray
- Melt butter in a large plastic bowl.
- I normally do this in the plastic bowl in the microwave 35-40 seconds. Add the marshmallows and stir to coat with the butter.
- Microwave 3 minutes.
- Pour in the Rice Krispies and stir to incorporate.
- Spray a large serving size spoon with Pam to reduce sticking when you stir. Put mixture in a 13X9 pan that has been sprayed with Pam.
- Press down with either waxed paper or a tablespoon sprayed with Pam. Cut into desired squares. I use the spoon sprayed with Pam. Warning, the pan will be full nearly to the top. But that is okay because it makes a big rice krispie treat.
- Enjoy! Many times at our house, this has been 5 minutes and we are back out the door. So good though.
A few of my favorite things
The Power of Positivity
If you loved this post, please share. It helps to show me that these types of posts are helpful – thank you!
I hope that you liked this recipe. If you are looking for more ideas on what to make, here are a few other recipes that you may enjoy.