The recipe for the Chocolate Caramel Rice Krispie Squares is so good that my nephew asked for it as his birthday present this year. This recipe is a whole new twist on Rice Krispies.
*Post contains affiliate links*at no additional cost to you for more information please read the disclaimer on the About Us page.
The inspiration for this recipe was a dessert brought to a pot luck. This is one of those quick and easy recipes that can make a person crave these for a year. An amazing recipe that anyone would be proud to serve as a snack, potluck dish, or even a Holiday favorite.
Figuring out the Recipe
Our local agriculture organization has a summer picnic each year to bring the membership together to celebrate supporting agriculture. My nephew ate these chocolate caramel rice krispie squares quite a lot a few years ago. When we came home, he asked me if I could make this for him. There was so much food that day, I did not have a chance to try them. So, based on his explanation of the caramel and chocolate gooey taste of them, I went on an Internet search for the recipe. Believe me, I looked for days. While they might be called something else and maybe this recipe is on the Internet somewhere, I could not find it. After a few days, of making trying and tasting various recipes, we gave up.
Rice Krispie Recipe Success
The next year, my nephew was eagerly waiting for the summer picnic. You see, I did not know who brought the dish. So, I didn’t know who to ask for the recipe. We were all hoping that whomever brought them last year would bring them again. To our pleasant surprise, they were brought again by one of our neighbor friends, who wishes to remain anonymous. However, we are forever grateful that she brought these Chocolate Caramel Rice Krispie Squares to the picnic again and shared the recipe with me.
I will not make you wait a year to get this recipe. What a delicious snack.
Chocolate Caramel Rice Krispie Squares
- 40 individually wrapped Caramel 1 bag approximately
- 3 TBl. water
- 5 cups Rice Krispies
- 11.5 Oz. Milk Chocolate Chips 1 bag
- 6 Oz. Butterscotch Chips 1/2 bag
- In a microwave safe bowl that is also large enough to mix 5 cups of the Rice Krispies, unwrap the 40 individually wrapped caramels.
- Add the 3 Tbl water. Microwave for 1 minute at a time, for approximately 3 minutes. Make sure to stir after each minute and at the end until smooth and creamy.
- Add the 5 cups of Rice Krispies to the melted caramels and stir to incorporate.
- In a 9 X 13 pan that has been sprayed with Pam or some other light oil, pour the Rice Krispies and caramel mixture. Use a spoon that has been sprayed with Pam to spread and smooth the mixture.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the milk chocolate chips and the butterscotch chips. Microwave for 1 minute at a time, for approximately 3 minutes. Stirring after each minute and at the end until all chocolate is melted.
- Distribute the melted milk chocolate and butterscotch chips on top of the Rice Krispies mixture. Spread to evenly distribute making sure to get the chocolate out to the edges and in the corners.
- Let cool. When cooled, cut into 20 approximately 2-inch squares. Enjoy!
A few of my favorite things
The Power of Positivity
If you loved this post, please share. It helps to show me that these types of posts are helpful – thank you!
I hope that you liked this recipe. If you are looking for more ideas on what to make, here are a few other recipes that you may enjoy.