If you want to make an easy soup with great flavor, give this taco soup recipe a try. Need a meal on the table quickly after a long day at work? This soup can be made in 30 minutes with just a few ingredients.
*Post contains affiliate links*at no additional cost to you for more information please read the disclaimer on the About Us page.
Time Tested Taco Soup Recipe
This recipe is so good that people order it off the menu. When I was a cook at a restaurant, we would come up with new recipes that we thought our customers would like. Over forty years ago, this soup took its test run on the menu. It is still being served.Of course,
I have tweaked the recipe a bit to give it a little more flavor…according to my family. As always, make the recipes the way that taste best to you and your family.
I just love these soup bowls.
Here is a 5 Qt. kettle like the one that I use to make my soups.
Make Your Own Taco Seasoning Mix
While you certainly can use a pre-packaged taco seasoning mix, you can quickly make your own. The nice thing about that is that the amount of each seasoning can be adjusted to your taste buds. There have been a few times through the years that I ran out of the mix. It is 30 minutes to the store just one way for me. Therefore, it is important to be able to make my own.
Now that I am home more, I prefer making my own Taco Spice Mix. You can too!
Ad-on Soup Options
When I serve this soup, I often have a variety of extra toppings available for family and friends to dress up the soup anyway that suits them. While this soup is great eaten without any extra toppings, sometimes, it is fun to dress it up a little. Here is a list of topping ideas:
- Hot Sauce
- Shredded cheese such as Mozzarella, Colby, Cheddar, or Pepper jack would be good choices
- Sour Cream
- Onions, finely diced
- Corn Chips
These are just such a cute bowl to serve this taco soup in.
Taco Soup Recipe
- 3 Lbs. Hamburger
- 1 Medium Onion diced
- 2 Stalks Celery diced
- 1 Packet Taco Seasoning
- Salt to taste about 1/2-1 tsp.
- Pepper to taste about 1/2-1 tsp.
- 12 Oz. Green Beans I usually use frozen cut beans
- 11.5 Oz. V8 Original Vegetable Juice 1 can
- 10 3/4 Oz. Tomato Soup 1 can
- 14.5 Oz. Diced Tomatoes 1 can
- I brown the meat in the 5 Qt. kettle with the onion and celery. Once the meat is browned, I add the salt, pepper, and taco seasoning.
- Since I use the frozen cut green beans, I open the bag at this time and add the entire bag to the kettle. I cook a few minutes.
- Add the V8 Vegetable Juice, Tomato Soup, and Diced Tomatoes to the kettle. Fill with water to approximately 1 inch from the top. Bring to a boil stirring occasionally to make sure that nothing is sticking to the bottom of the kettle.
- Serve with the desired toppings. I have a list started for you above on what you might want to serve this soup with. However, this soup is great on its own without any toppings. Whichever way you choose to have this soup, enjoy!
Your Own Private Notes
A few of my favorite things
The Power of Positivity
If you loved this post, please share. It helps to show me that these types of posts are helpful – thank you!
I hope that you liked this recipe. If you are looking for more ideas on what to make, here are a few other recipes that you may enjoy.