This cowboy caviar recipe is a fresh and healthy salad with simple ingredients. Talk about color! If you like black beans, black-eye peas, corn, avocados, and tomatoes, this recipe is for you.
*Post contains affiliate links* for more information please read the disclaimer on the About Us page.
This delicious bean salad is so versatile
Enjoy it on its own or use it as a snack when paired with crackers or corn chips.
Salad Serving Ideas
A fresh combination of flavors that can be serve this on game day with chips and crackers. If you serve hors d’oeuvres for the Holidays or any gathering, this would be a wonderful addition to the table. Make room for a colorful and flavorful dish that guests will have guests coming back for seconds. Use as a salsa
Trying New Foods
I had seen cowboy caviar recipes in the past; however, I never had the desire to try it. For me, the recipes always seemed to have too many beans. One day, a co-worker brought some in from home. I tried it and was quickly hooked.
To be honest, I finished what was left in the bowl. Yikes! Sure glad that I try new foods and make my family try them too. I made the recipe at home over the next few days, so my family could try it too. However, I tweaked the recipe to our tastes.
Here is my version of the Cowboy Caviar
I hope you and your family like it as much as we do. Some people say it tastes better the next day…hard to get it to last that long at our house.
Simple Ingredients and Easy Recipe
The hardest part of this bean salad is opening the cans and cutting the bag open for the corn. Just so east and delicious. Be sure to give this a try. This is one of those foods you do not have to feel guilty eating.
Like Your Salsa with a Bit of Heat?
Optional Heat If you prefer a bit of heat with your bean salads. Add 1 Jalapeno with the seeds removed. Dice it. I have had it with the Jalapeno added and it is good that way too.
Cowboy Caviar Recipe
- 1 small onion diced. Preferably red onion
- 15 Oz. Black Beans drained and rinsed (1 can)
- 15 Oz. Black-eye Peas drained and rinsed (1 can)
- 2 Oz. Chopped Green Chilies, Mild (1/2 can) (freeze the chilies you do not use today)
- 14.4 Oz. Frozen Corn thawed (1 bag)
- 3 Avocados diced
- 3 Beefsteak Tomatoes diced (can use Roma tomatoes or any other tomato you like)
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro Diced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced fine (optional)
- 1 Tbl. garlic powder
- 1 Tsp. salt
- 1/2 Tsp. pepper
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- 1/4 Cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbl. Lime Juice Fresh if you can get it
- 2 bags Tortilla Chips for serving
- In a large bowl, combine bean salad ingredients. Stir.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. Pour over the bean salad and mix well.
- Serve. Refrigerate any left overs. Will keep in the refrigerator a few days. Enjoy!
Your Own Private Notes
A few of my favorite things
The Power of Positivity
If you loved this post, please share. It helps to show me that these types of posts are helpful – thank you!
I hope that you liked this recipe. If you are looking for more ideas on what to make, here are a few other recipes that you may enjoy.