I have made this old fashion bread pudding with vanilla sauce for decades. Ultimate comfort food. I mean, what’s not to like: bread, egg custard, plump raisins, and vanilla sauce.
*Post contains affiliate links* for more information please read the disclaimer on the About Us page.
Old fashioned bread pudding recipe is a family favorite. This is a very old bread pudding recipe from the family archives that is wonderfully creamy and absolutely scrumptious!
A Recipe Perfect for Stale Bread
It happens to all of us. After a few days, the fresh baked bread is no longer fresh. It can become dry, crumbly, and stale.
That is the perfect bread to use in this mouth watering recipe.
Bread for the Recipe
Day-old bread is perfect for this recipe.
Sturdy breads are a good choice. I like to use cottage bread or something even hardier like
- French bread.
The bread should be a good tasting bread that you like. You could also mix breads. Maybe you have been saving some stale pieces in the freezer.
The bread needs to hold up to the egg and milk mixture as all of the custard goodness will be soaked up.
Fruit and Nut Alternatives for This Dessert
This recipe uses raisins; however, there are so many other fruit and nut options that would be very satisfying as well.
Serving This Bread Pudding Dessert
At our house, we all have our favorite ways to eat this dessert. I like it both warm and cold with the vanilla sauce. Sometimes, I will sprinkle walnuts or pecans on top for extra flavor.
My husband likes it warm with the vanilla sauce and vanilla ice cream.
Yet, our daughter likes a little of the vanilla sauce and whipping cream.
Old Recipe Book
This original recipe was from the Betty Crocker’s Picture Cook Book -- the old version. I tweaked it slightly and added the vanilla sauce. However, this cook book is still my go-to recipe book and has been for decades.
Old Fashion Bread Pudding with Vanilla Sauce
- 4 Cups Milk
- 1/2 Cup Butter Melted
- 4 Eggs Slightly beaten
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp. Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 Tsp. Salt
- 12 Cups Bread Cubed. About 12 slices
- 1 Cup Raisins
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla
- 2 Tsp. Corn Starch
Old Fashioned Bread Pudding
- In large bowl, mix eggs, sugar, butter, cinnamon and salt.
- Stir in milk
- Cube the bread.
- Stir in bread cubes and raisins. Stir in milk mixture. I like to let the bread soak up the milk mixture a few minutes before pouring into greased 9 X 13 pan.
- Bake uncovered 45 to 60 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit or until knife inserted 1 inch from edge comes out clean.
- While the bread pudding is cooing, make the vanilla sauce.
- Add the sugar, cold water, vanilla, and corn starch to a sauce pan. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, then remove from heat.
Subscribe to the channel
If you loved this post, please share. It helps to show me that these types of posts are helpful – thank you!
I hope that you liked this recipe. If you are looking for more ideas on what to make, here are a few other recipes that you may enjoy.