This recipe truly is the best pecan pie bars. With a caramelized pecan goodness set on top of a shortbread crust. Just the perfect combination.
*Post contains affiliatelinks* for more information please read the disclaimer on the About Us page.
The Best Pecan Pie Bars are So Easy to Make
This is one of those easy recipes that has amazing results. Tips to making this recipe easy are included. Your family and friends will thank you. Going to a potluck or some other gathering? Bring these pecan pie cookie bars and you will have people asking you for the recipe…the container is always empty quickly. This is just good country comfort food.
Family and Friends Love These Dessert Bars
I made two pans of bars this past weekend. Hoping I would have enough left over to bring into work on Monday. Well, that never happened. My family either ate them all or begged to take leftover bars home. I caved knowing I can always make more. So, today along with sharing this delicious recipe with you, I will attempt to make two more batches. Why two? Well, if I am going to get the oven warmed up this close to the holidays, I might as well make two pans of the pecan pie bars.
Freeze the Pecan Pie Bars
They freeze well and if I am able to save any until the holidays, this will make entertaining guests a breeze. Whenever you can have a scrumptious treat prepared ahead of time, especially during the stressful holidays, it just makes the day go better. Just place in a container that will keep the bars sealed well in the freezer and make sure the place, tin foil, waxed paper, or even parchment paper between the rows of bars. I like to use a plastic container, I think gallon bag would work too. When you are ready to use, just remove from the freezer, let thaw on counter for a few hours before enjoying. They will keep up to six months in the freezer.
Helpful Hints to Recipe Success:
Grating Butter for Quick Incorporation
- When adding the butter to the flour and sugar for the shortbread crust, use a box grater and grate the cold butter before adding. It makes incorporating the butter with the flour and sugar a breeze.
Food Processor for Chopping Nuts
- It is easier to use a food processor to coarsely chop the pecans. I use one that I bought years ago for my daughter to help me in the kitchen. It just takes a few seconds to whir around the ingredients and it is dishwasher safe too. Here is a link to a similar manual food processor.
- Line the 9 X 13 baking pan with parchment paper. I spray the pan itself with non-stick spray to help the parchment paper stick to the pan. Then I give the parchment paper a quick spray of non-stick spray. Using the parchment paper is key to easy removal from the pan and cutting. You will thank me later.
Cutting the Delicious Bars
- Let the bars cool completely before cutting. I like to place in the refrigerator for about 1/2 hour just prior to cutting. Use a sharp knife to cut through the bars.
Simply The Best Pecan Pie Bars
- 1 3/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 Cup Cold Butter Grated for easier incorporating
Pecan Pie layer
- 3/4 Cup Firmly Packed Brown Sugar
- 1/3 Cup all-purpose flour
- 4 Large eggs
- 3/4 Cup Maple Syrup
- 3/4 Cup Corn Syrup
- 1 TBL Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Tsp. salt
- 2 Cups Roughly Chopped Pecans
- Line a 9 X 13 pan with parchment paper. I like to spray the bottom of the pan lightly with non-stock cooking spray before laying the paper in the pan as this will help it stick. Then spray the parchment paper lightly. Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F.
- Mix the flour and sugar together until well incorporated.
- Grate the butter for easier incorporation into the flour mixture. Once the butter is grated, add that to the flour mixture and use a pastry cutter to incorporate.
- Press the flour mixture into the 9 X 13 pan. I use the back of my measuring cup. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 20 minutes. This helps partially bake the shortbread crust so it is perfectly cooked during the next cooking phase.
Pecan Pie layer
- In a large bowl, use a spoon to mix together the brown sugar, flour, eggs, maple syrup, corn syrup, vanilla extract, and salt. Let sit while you chop the pecans. Letting the mixture sit a while ensures that there are no lumps of flour or brown sugar later.
- Once the pecans are chopped, go ahead and stir those in as well. Again, let the mixture sit until the shortbread crust is done baking for the 20 minutes.
- Once the shortbread crust is done baking, go ahead and pour the pecan pie layer on top. Return to the oven and continue to bake for 45-50 minutes. The center should be a bit wobbly. As the cookie bars cool, this will firm up. Don’t over bake the mixture or it will become a bit hard.
- Once cooled, lift the bars out of the pan using the parchment paper. Pull the paper away from the sides. Use a sharp knife to cut your bars. Enjoy.
They really are scrumptious.
If you loved this post, please share. It helps to show me that these types of posts are helpful – thank you!
I hope that you liked this recipe. If you are looking for more ideas on what to make, here are a few other recipes that you may enjoy.