This Southern fried cabbage recipe is just amazing! Not only is this recipe easy, it is packed with comfort and of course bacon too.
*Post contains affiliate links* for more information please read the disclaimer on the About Us page.
If you have always loved cooked cabbage like my family does, then this recipe is one you just must try.
Southern Fried Cabbage is ADDICTING!
I just love cooked cabbage and a few years ago I finally made Southern Fried Cabbage. It is so delicious, the tender cabbage, the smokey bacon, the rich sauce, and all of these flavors marry together with the texture for an amazing side dish. If you are someone that was lucky enough to have had this during your childhood, I am jealous. This recipe is so simple and yet absolutely addicting!
Of course, the bacon just sends the flavor profile over the top. Imagine adding a little bit of brown sugar and apple cider vinegar to top this off. Yum!
Fried Bacon – Need I Say More?
This recipe starts by cooking bacon pieces until crisp. Next, you add in some onion and minced garlic. That already sounds like a recipe that you will want to devour.
Adding the Cabbage
Next add the cabbage and cook it until fork tender. Notice how the cabbage fills the entire large skillet? No worries, this will cook down to half the size.
It’s a super savory, smoky side dish that pairs well with just about any menu.
A few recipe notes:
- This is a recipe that you can cook to suit your taste. If you like the cabbage with a little more texture, cook it for less time. However, I like mine fork tender. Make this recipe the way you like it. Taste a bit or two of the cabbage as it cooks and you will get it to where you like it.
- I use an entire head of cabbage for this. Quarter and slice the cabbage. It does not have to be extremely thin, about 1/4 inch slices. No time to slice the cabbage? No worries. Use a bag of cabbage (the kind you purchase pre-sliced for coleslaw). I am a fan of time savers too.
Here is a homemade coleslaw recipe that we just love. Actually, I made it for years in a restaurant where I was the cook. Yum.
Southern Fried Cabbage Recipe
- 1 Head Cabbage Shredded
- 1 Small Onion Sliced
- 1 LB. Bacon Diced-about 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 TBL. Garlic Minced (can substitute garlic powder)
- 2 TBL. Worcestershire
- 1 TBL. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 TBL. Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Water
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Dice the bacon in approximately 1 inch pieces. In a large skillet, add the diced bacon.
- Cook over medium heat until crispy. Remove all of the bacon grease except for approximately 2 TBL. (I move the bacon off to one side and spoon out the excess grease).
- Add the diced onion, and minced garlic. Continue cooking a few minutes.
- Add all of the shredded cabbage. Cover with lid and continue cooking 2-3 minutes. Then stir to get the bacon, onion, and garlic up off the bottom of the pan. Continue cooking 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- At about 10-15 minutes, the pan will become a little dry. Now is the time to add the 1/4 cup of water. Continue cooking with the lid on another 15 minutes, stirring every few minutes. (check for the tenderness of the cabbage).
- When almost done, add the Worcestershire, apple cider vinegar, and brown sugar. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Your Own Private Notes
A few of my favorite things
The Power of Positivity
If you loved this post, please share. It helps to show me that these types of posts are helpful – thank you!
I hope that you liked this recipe. If you are looking for more ideas on what to make, here are a few other recipes that you may enjoy.
You can find Victoria crocheting, quilting, and creating recipes. She has worked in restaurants for many years. Her many crochet patterns and quilt patterns are enjoyed by many. In her professional career, she has worked in management in a wide variety of businesses including higher education as a dean of a division. All the while attending college part-time to achieve her doctorate in higher education with an emphasis in e-learning.