This tomato and cucumber crostini recipe is a light and tasty appetizer. Wow you family and friends with this simple recipe. Fresh taste!
*Post contains affiliate links* for more information please read the disclaimer on the About Us page.
Fresh and Delicious Snack
Enjoy the delicious taste of fresh tomatoes, cucumber, red onions, all on top of a garlicy toasted baguette.
Bruschetta & Crostini
If you are like me, you might be wondering; what is the difference between bruschetta and crostini. After a bit of research, I found out that normally bruschetta are wide slices of a rustic Italian or sourdough type bread. Whereas, crostini are normally a smaller, round, finer-textured bread, such as a white bread baguette.
Tomato and Cucumber Crostini Appetizer Display
This appetizer is quick to make. Look how just a few simple elements can become such a pretty and appetizing display.
I like to serve my toppings in the small dishes and let guests take their own little bowl of deliciousness. Add a couple of crostini on a plate and they have their own serving of the appetizer. Guests can enjoy their fresh tasting snack their way.
Delicious Summer Snack
Everyone loves this snack when I serve it. The flavors are simple and familiar, yet paired together, they are scrumptious. When your friends come over or if you just want to serve your family a delicious and fun snack, this is the perfect summery appetizer to have.
Bring this to your next party as a dish-t0-pass. Toast the bread, cool, and place in a sealed container. Make the tomato, cucumber, and red onion mixture; keep it in a covered bowl. When you arrive at your destination, assemble the crostini, or better yet, let the guests serve themselves. Place the cucumber mixture in a bowl and the toasted bread on the side and let people dish it up as they like.
Make sure not to top the crostini and leave it sit. The juices will soak into the bread and it will become soggy.
Bruschetta and Crostini Toppings
No matter which type of bread you choose, it has a little olive oil and is lightly toasted. Once done, rub the toast with garlic. Traditionally, it seems that the tomato is the usual main topping; however, you can top this with anything you like. such as cucumber, onion, olives, cheese, or even diced figs. Experiment and find your perfect combination.
Additionally, I like to use the long English cucumber for this recipe as the seeds are small, it is less watery and has a thinner skin. I also remove some of the skin too before slicing and dicing.
Rinse The Onions
When making this recipe, I want to tomato to shine through. The onion can provide a lovely crunch. However, without rinsing the onions, they can be quite pungent and take over this recipe. Therefore, I recommend that the onions are rinsed after chopping.
I place my chopped onions in a colander and rinse them. While they are dripping the water off of them, I chop my tomatoes and dice the fresh basil.
Tomatoes for Recipe
Today, I used Beefsteak and Grape Tomatoes. However, any type of tomato that you enjoy can be used.
Tomato and Cucumber Crostini
- 3 Tomatoes Diced, I used Beef Steak today
- 2 English Cucumbers Diced
- 1 medium Onion I used Red onion today
- 3 Tbl. Basil Fresh and chopped
- 2 Tbl. Olive Oil
- 2 Tbl. Red Wine vinegar
- 2 Tbl. Granulated Sugar
- Salt To Taste
- Pepper To Taste
- 2 Baguettes Sliced
- 2 Tbl. Olive Oil
- 1 Clove Garlic
- Dice the tomatoes and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Dice the red onion rinse and drain. Add to the bowl.
- Remove some of the skin from the cucumber. I like to do this so I can taste more of the inside of the cucumber rather than the bitter skin. Dice and add to the bowl.
- Chop the fresh Basil and add to the bowl.
- In a small bowl combine the olive oil, red wine vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Whisk together to incorporate and dissolve the sugar.
- Pour the dressing over the ingredients in the bowl. Mix to incorporate.
- Slice baguette into 1/4 inch slices and brush the top and bottom of each slice with olive oil.
- Broil 2-3 minutes on each side or until lightly toasted. Remove from the oven and rub each slice of bread with the fresh clove of garlic.
- Add topping to the crostini. Serve
Your Own Private Notes
A few of my favorite things
The Power of Positivity
If you loved this post, please share. It helps to show me that these types of posts are helpful – thank you!
I hope that you liked this recipe. If you are looking for more ideas on what to make, here are a few other recipes that you may enjoy.