These 5-ingredient vanilla blueberry cake mix bars are simple and quick to make. You probably have the cake mix and jam already in your pantry. It is always nice to have a sweet treat recipe that everyone, it seems enjoys eating.
Post contains affiliate links and we earn commissions if you shop through the links on this page. For more information please read the disclaimer on the About Us page.
Stocking the Pantry
When cake mixes go on sale, I tend to stock up. They are just perfect for those days when I need to whip up something quick. It is amazing just how versatile a box of cake mix can be. This is one of those go-to recipes for a sweet snack. With the quick oats in this recipe, it is perfect for a hand-held breakfast before heading out the door.
Turn your plain cake mix into something amazing.
White or Yellow Cake Mix Can Be Used
Today, I used a Vanilla flavored White Cake mix. However, this would be just perfect for a plain white cake mix or even a yellow cake mix. Additionally, it can be any brand that you prefer or purchased on sale. I have used a few and they all work really well with this recipe.
Fruit Filling -Jam
The one thing that is important in this recipe is the type of jam that you use. It is the star of the show; therefore, it must taste good. If it does not taste good in the jar, it will not enhance the dessert. I like to use a good quality jam that we all enjoy.
Today, I used a Wild Maine Blueberry Jam. Yes, I order it special for our family. Sometimes, it is just nice to splurge. This jam was has the perfect fruity flavor and pairs well with the cake mix and quick oats.
This can be made with other jams that are purchased or homemade. Here are a few ideas on jams that would be perfect for this recipe.
Pressing Down the Bottom Layer
Here is a hint to pressing down the bottom layer when making these bars. I used to use my hands and the dough would get warm from my touch and start sticking to my hands about half way through the process of spreading out the dough and pressing it down.
I now use the bottom part of a measuring cup to spread out and pat down the dough layer on the bottom. It works like a charm. My hands stay clean and I also think it is a bit more sanitary.
Size of Dessert Treat Pan
I made these treats in a 9 X 13 cake pan. This recipe makes a dessert bar approximately 1 inch thick. Therefore keep that in mind when pressing in the bottom layer, it will be approximately 1/2 inch thick. However, after the jam and crumb topping is added, The end result will be just right. I cut my pan of bars into 15 pieces.
5-Ingredient Vanilla Blueberry Cake Mix Bars
- 1 15.25 Oz. Cake Mix White, Yellow, Vanilla
- 1 1/2 Cups Quick Oats
- 3/4 Cup Butter Melted
- 12 Oz. Blueberry or other jam filling 1 jar Can be a little more or less than 12 Oz.
- 1 Tbl. Water Can also use Lemon Juice if desired
- Preheat the oven the 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cake mix and oats.
- Add the melted butter.
- Stir in the butter until fully incorporated. The batter will be thick and form a dough ball.
- Put approximately 3 cups of the mixture into a 9 X 13 pan. Press firmly into the bottom on the pan. (I also sprayed a bit of oil in the pan to keep things from sticking just in case).
- In a small bowl, combine the water and jam. Stirring the jam with a bit of water helps it spread over the top of the crust.
- Spread the jam over the crust evenly.
- Cover with the remaining dough mixture by crumbling between fingers distributing it evenly across.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Don't over bake or the edges will become too dry.
- Let cool before cutting. Serve plain, with ice cream, or whipped cream.
Your Own Private Notes
A few of my favorite things
The Power of Positivity
If you loved this post, please share. It helps to show me that these types of posts are helpful – thank you!
I hope that you liked this recipe. If you are looking for more ideas on what to make, here are a few other recipes that you may enjoy.