A delicious apple coffeecake with cinnamon brown sugar crumb is exceptionally flavorful and moist. Top this with the crumb and a frosted glaze to send this over the edge for comfort food.
*Post contains affiliate links* for more information please read the disclaimer on the About Us page.
Fall Apple Harvest
This is the perfect fall recipe to use those fresh picked apples with. Having that perfect fruit almost forces us to bake delicious goodies. This is one of those cakes that has to be made at least once in the fall.
Enjoy a piece of apple coffee cake for snacking, breakfast, or dessert.
Serving the Apple Coffeecake
My daughter and husband like the coffeecake warm. Sometimes, they will eat the cake with ice cream. Other times, it is a quick snack and they are off again. While it is delicious that way, it can also be wonderful served cold too. As you can see from the photo further on down, I will sometimes top this apple coffeecake with whipped cream too.
While Granny Smith Apples are great with their tartness for this recipe. I am not particular when it comes to what kind of apple to use with this apple coffeecake recipe. Any type of apple that you like would really be wonderful in this recipe. While I often make this recipe in the fall when the apples are freshly picked. Now a days apples are available year-round in the stores. Purchase a hand full anytime of the year and make this delicious Apple Coffeecake with Cinnamon Brown Sugar Crumb…and a bit of icing glaze anytime you are in the mood for a homemade snack.
Sometimes, we like to top this cake with whipped topping. Yum!
Apple Coffeecake with Cinnamon Brown Sugar Crumb
Brown Sugar/Cinnamon Mixture
- 1 Cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbls. cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Cups granulated sugar
- 1 Cup butter Softened
- 3 Large eggs
- 2 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 3 Cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Yogurt I used Greek Yogurt
- 4 Large Apples Any kind (approximately 4 cups diced)
- 2 Tbl. Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbl. granulated sugar
- 2 Tsp. cinnamon
- 1 Cup powdered sugar
- 1-3 Tbl. milk or cream depending on the thickness of the glaze desired. For thicker use cream
Brown Sugar/Cinnamon Mixture
- Combine the brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.
- Add the lemon juice to the diced apples and mix to coat the apples. Add the granulated sugar, and cinnamon to the diced apples and mix.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Use a 9 X 13 cake pan and spray with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the granulated sugar, and softened butter with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time and add vanilla extract and yogurt.
- Whisk the flour and baking powder in a separate bowl. Add a little at a time and mix until just mixed.
- Pour half the cake batter into the cake pan; add half of the apple mixture; sprinkle 1/2 of the brown sugar cinnamon mixture on top of the apple layer.
- Pour the remaining cake batter over the apple layer and top with the remaining chopped apples and brown sugar cinnamon mixture. (I actually spooned on the remaining cake batter all over the apple layer, then used a knife to spread it evenly).
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Approximately 60 minutes.
- Combine the powdered sugar and the milk or cream until well blended.
- Once the cake has cooled drizzle the icing over the top. Enjoy
Your Own Private Notes
A few of my favorite things
The Power of Positivity
If you loved this post, please share. It helps to show me that these types of posts are helpful – thank you!
I hope that you liked this recipe. If you are looking for more ideas on what to make, here are a few other recipes that you may enjoy.